It’s official! December 1st means we can go from complaining about the cruddy weather to distracting ourselves with all the wonderful things that are part of the holiday season!
It’s a rule in my house – no Christmas until December 1st. And it’s not because I’m a total scrooge – I promise it’s not! The thing is, the longer that Christmas lingers, the more watered down it becomes. It loses a little something when it extends into November and also into January, as I’m terrible for packing everything up and saying goodbye to the twinkle lights and ornaments and christmas cards from friends draped over every horizontal surface.
It’s kind of like Cadbury Creme Eggs. Easter comes around and we got nuts for them, but when was the last time you were at the grocery store buying bread and thought – hey ya know what would be a lovely wave of sugary childhood springtime nostalgia? A Cadbury Creme Egg!
No. they are special in part because you can’t get them all the time.
Similarly, Christmas has a special feeling that is made up of a thousand special, once- a-year traditions.
And one of those traditions in my house is the Christmas Movie Tradition!
K and I pick out our favourites, and we make sure that we squeeze in as many of these as possible in the days leading up to December 25th, curled up on the couch with a hot beverage, with the tree twinkling away in the background.
Here is our list that we watch again and again, each year:
- Home Alone – we watch this every year. No question
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – its not Christmas for me until we watch this, usually Christmas eve and with all the lights off but the tree! It’s magic!
- Christmas Vacation- awesome movie all around!
- The Santa Clause – we watch this one in the days leading up to Christmas… I love this movie, takes me back to being a kid again!
- Elf – It’s Will Ferrell being awesome. What’s not to love?
- It’s a Wonderful Life – I love older movies, and this one is heavy on the sentimental. It’s truly a cozy up under the blankets with a steaming hot tea kind of movie.
- Miracle on 34th Street – K doesn’t love this one, but its a favourite of mine! It’s gotta be the 1947 version with Natalie Wood!
- The Muppet Christmas Carol – This one my mom and I always watch together. So I save it for the two of us to enjoy together!
- White Christmas – K & I love this one equally! It’s epic and I can’t live without it!
- The Holiday – This one i love watching with girlfriends! The Holiday is such a great romantic comedy – it’s got absolutely everything going for it. I wish K would watch romantic comedies with me cause this one is so much fun! Not to add any spoilers but it goes places it doesn’t have to with the story and makes it stand out as more than just a cookie cutter chick flick!
See any on this list that you can’t get through the holiday season without? Let me know in the comments below! I love hearing from you!
…24 days and counting…